Monday, April 14, 2014

Starting Off

After much preparation and hope for the snow to melt my project is officially underway and going well. This past week I pulled out my brand new asics sneakers and began running on my own for the first time. So far I have not worked out an exact schedule, I've simply been running as much as possible. I have chosen to run after school or in the evening and I will continue to experiment which time of the day best suits me for running. Being a busy person with school, music and sports it is not always easy to find time to run which is why I often found it difficult to stay disciplined when I felt like 'just not doing it' but after pushing myself to go I feel greatly rewarded afterwards.
I began running by walking my first mile to get my muscles warmed up and blood flowing, from there I ran to a certain point as a goal I had set. From there I simply added on a greater distance every time I ran if I felt I could. I have been pleasantly surprised with my progress this early into running as well as I am setting a great pace and never tiring.
I am very glad I chose running as my project as I am already seeing results in other every day things. After a long day at school I am often very tired and will decided to relax or take a nap to 'recharge'. Instead if I force myself to run shortly after coming home I will find a surge of energy to finish off my day. I have also noticed that running is a great way to relive any kind of stress. Listening to music while running definitely helps, but after a solid run I feel very relaxed and I have a fresh mind for the rest of the afternoon/evening. It is also great for cross training, I am an avid volleyball player and I have noticed some improvements in my play and I have my running to thank for it. As I continue to run i'm excited to see what other benefits running will give me, and I hope it continues to go as well as it has.

1 comment:

  1. As a runner myself, I am interested in your blog. I understand the lack of energy after school, personally I love the late night runs under the stars. How far are you running now? I run between 2-6km a couple times a week.

    ReplyDelete